Rural Partners - Western Cape

Botrivier

Botrivier Advice and Development Centre (BADC): Helping Young People to Imagine A Future

Building hope and encouraging young people to imagine a future is the main focus of the Community Development Centre in the Western Cape village of Botrivier.

Caledon (Overberg Development & Empowerment Centre)

Set against the backdrop of the Swartberg mountain range in the Western Cape, surrounded by fields of barley and wheat, is the little town of Caledon, which is famous for its hot springs.

Cederberg Matzikama AIDS Network (Citrusdal)

Citrusdal is a town of approximately 5 000 people in the Olifants River Valley in the Western Cape province of South Africa. It is situated at the base of the Cederberg mountains about 160 kilometres north of Cape Town. Agriculture in the area is dominated by citrus fruit farming, hence the town's name.

Ceres (Witzenberg)

The Ceres valley is part of South Africa’s fruit export industry. Everything thrives in this fertile and beautiful valley and the ripening fruit in the orchards glints in the late afternoon sunlight.

Doringbaai

The picturesque little town of Doringbaai is situated on the West Coast of South Africa neighbouring the well known towns of Lamberts Bay and Strandfontein, about 300 km from Cape Town.

Elandsbaai

Elandsbaai or (Elands Bay in English) is a small seaside town which is a paradise for surfers and birdwatchers, about 200km north of Cape Town on the R27. The variety of different soil types ensures beautiful flora during spring when the flowers change the area dramatically.

Gansbaai

Gansbaai is a small fishing village on the south coast of the Western Cape. It is part of the Overberg and forms part of the Overstrand Municipality. Gansbaai and its surrounding areas including the adjacent township of Masakhane have a population of approximately 7000 people.

Genadendal

Genadendal lies six kilometers outside Greyton and is the first and oldest mission station in South Africa. Genadendal ('Valley of Grace') was founded by Georg Schmidt, an early worker of the Moravian Missionary Society in 1738.

Graafwater

Graafwater is situated approximately 300km north of Cape Town in the Sandveld region. The town is situated about halfway between Clanwilliam and Lamberts Bay. After the railway junction between Cape Town and Bitterfontein was build in 1910, the town Graafwater was established. The local Dutch Reformed Church of Leipoldtville developed the town further.

Gugulethu

Gugulethu is a township 15 km from Cape Town. The name is a contraction of igugu lethu, which is Xhosa for our pride. Gugulethu, along with Nyanga, was established in the 1960s due to the overcrowding of Langa, which was the only black residential area for Cape Town at the time. The main route NY1 runs through the township.

Molsvlei

The Molsvlei Community Development Organisation (MCDO)

Montagu

Montagu in the Klein Karoo in South Africa was founded in 1851 and lies in a fertile valley between the Keisie and the Kingna rivers which join at the western end of the town. Montagu is also known as the "Gateway to the Klein Karoo". The area has higher rainfalls than the Great Karoo in the northeast and so is noticeably more fertile and more green.

Nelspoort

Nelspoort lies in a long-abandoned loop of the old N1 highway between Beaufort West and Three Sisters which are pit stops on the road from Cape Town to Johannesburg. The new highway, crawling with endless trucks, is a dull murmur 25 kilometres to the west.

Riviersonderend (Theewaterskloof)

Riviersonderend is a small farming village with a peaceful rural atmosphere, situated on the main Garden Route between Cape Town and Mossel Bay on the N2, 160 km from Cape Town.  The village is surrounded by farms. It is located on a loop of the Sonderend River, from which it takes its name. In the town and its surrounding areas, approximately 4000 people live.

Saron

Saron is a small town in the Western Cape province and belongs to the Municipality of Drakenstein, in the Cape winelands. It counts about 6000 inhabitants. Saron was known as a mission station in the mid 1800s and the name is of biblical origin, meaning “flats” or “plain”.